The world was shocked by the news of the deaths of two American tourists who mysteriously died in Mexico. The couple of Abby Lutz and John Heathco were both 28 years old when they died in their hotel room in Baja California Sur on Tuesday 13th June. The couple was on vacation in Mexico, and they were scheduled to return home shortly.
Who Killed an American Couple
Authorities are still investigating the cause of the death, and have not yet confirmed what substance the couple consumed. Carbon monoxide is speculated to be the cause of death. The cause is unknown and is under investigation. Carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless and tasteless, is extremely hazardous. Even small amounts can damage the brain and other vital organs. Carbon monoxide is sometimes called “the silent killer” because it’s so hard to detect.
Faulty heating equipment such as boilers, furnaces, gas stoves and water heaters are the leading cause of carbon monoxide intoxication. It is important that all gas appliances are inspected and maintained regularly. A blocked chimney or vent can also prevent carbon monoxide being vented properly outside. Carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting and chest pain. You should leave the area immediately if you suspect carbon monoxide. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Abby Lutz’s and John Heathco’s tragic deaths highlight the need to take precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide detectors should be in working order and all gas appliances must be properly serviced and maintained. Ask if the hotel or rental property has carbon monoxide alarms and if these have been inspected and serviced.
This is a good reminder to always be on the lookout for potential dangers, such as carbon monoxide. We owe ourselves and those we love to prioritize safety, and to take the necessary precautions in order to avoid tragedies such as this. Let their souls rest peacefully and let’s pray that similar incidents will not occur in the future.